Friday, May 4, 2007

Am I A Trendwhore?

Dear Dr. Hack,

For the last few years I've been reading through Publishers Weekly and related sites to discover what's hot in the literary marketplace at any given time.

Every once in awhile I get this urge to write a novel in a genre I know is selling well, because I figure it's the best chance I have at breaking into print. However, most of the agent blogs I've read strongly caution against writing an entire novel based on a trend.

I think this is stupid advice from agents who are part of a secret literary cabal that exists to serve the interests of established writers. I've seen a lot of writers complain on message boards about how these agents, for the most part, hate new authors and hand out bad advice on purpose, because they're power crazed maniacs who want total control of what makes it into print.

My common sense tells me if everyone's buying a certain kind of book, I'd be stupid to write anything else. Please help, I don't know what to do.

--Dazed and Confused in OC


Dear Dazed,

I have good news. You aren't nuts.

That's right. The literary agents ARE conspiring to keep you from breaking into print, because in general, they absolutely hate new authors. There's nothing an agent despises more than an irresistible query letter.

I know this might not seem like a good business practice on the surface, but here's an "open secret," in the publishing world:

Agents are lazy. They hate work.

Finding a new client they can't turn down just means they'll have to burn more midnight oil over some lousy author who probably won't ever pony up a second book.

So when you read an agent's blog, you have to make sure you're viewing their advice through the lazy filter. The adage, "Don't write to trends," is a shining example of agents doing some preventative maintenance in order to keep people like yourself subjugated.

Don't get carried away with these misguided cautionary tales. Buy into the publishing hype. It pays, big time.

Need clear, lucid writing advice from an expert? Of course you do. E-mail Dr. Hack and he'll set you straight.

No comments: